mip re-certification

Safety inspections are required for commercial vehicles over 26,000 lbs GVW (gross vehicle weight). Training provided in this class by the Minnesota State Patrol will prepare individuals to become certified as inspectors for trucks (including farm trucks), buses, and other vehicles required to have annual safety inspections.

Price: $100  - Refund for a missed class will not be issued or applied to a future date. Reschedules or cancellations must be received 48 hours before the class date. A voicemail may be left at 651-646-7351 on Sunday for the Tuesday class. PAYMENT IS DUE 5 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE THE CLASS DATE

PLEASE NOTE: Due to COVID-19, changes have been made to the Mandatory Inspection Certification classes. Check back for the latest class information. 

Re-Certification Schedule

*Subject to change. Each class must have a minimum of 15 students. Classes will be held in Brooklyn Center, MN. 

Who Should be Certified?

Minnesota law requires commercial motor vehicles to be inspected annually and display an annual inspection decal. For purposes of the annual inspection, a commercial motor vehicle is:

  • A vehicle or combination of motor vehicles having a gross vehicle weight greater than 26,000 pounds

  • A bus (more than 15 passengers including the driver)

  • A vehicle, regardless of size, that transports a quantity of hazardous materials requiring the vehicle to display placards; or 

  • A self-propelled special mobile equipment mounted on a commercial motor vehicle chassis with a gross vehicle weight more than 26,000 pounds.

A required inspection may be performed only by:

  • An employee of the Department of Public Safety (DPS) or Transportation (MnDOT) who has been certified by the commissioner of DPS after having received training provided by the State Patrol;

  • Another person who is not an employee of DPS or MnDOT certified by the commissioner if the person is:

    • An owner, or employee of the owner, of one or more commercial motor vehicles that are power units;

    • A dealer licensed under section 168.27 and engaged in the business of buying and selling commercial motor vehicles, or an employee of the dealer;

    • Engaged in the business of repairing and servicing commercial motor vehicle.

    • Governmental agency that operates commercial motor vehicles





6160 Summit Dr. N, Ste. 330
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430

P: 651-646-7351
E: mta@mntruck.org

  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle